The J-O-B system organizes the work of the world in a certain way.
- It offers too much to some and little or none to others.
- It depends on production for the sake of production and consumption for the sake of consumption.
- It compels unequal relationships between employers and the employed.
- It is cruel to the unemployed.
- It drives the insatiable destruction of precious natural resources.
- It is hostile to the creation of community.
- It is inherently stressful to individuals, families and society. It deforms the entire process of education.
- It politically empowers some to the unnecessary disadvantage of others.
- It reproduces entrenched racial and global disparities.
- It promotes conflict rather than cooperation.
As currently structured, the global J-O-B system is not only failing – it is a menace to life on the planet. It is a system whose time is past.
From October 18-20, 2014 we will gather in Detroit, Michigan to advance the cause of New Work and New Culture. We will discuss and demonstrate ways to make and grow what we need not just to survive, but to thrive. We will assess the current state of New Work and New Culture worldwide and plan for the next phase of our movement. Employed, unemployed, underemployed, self employed, student or retired, we hope you will join us.